Want to feel like you are making a real difference in the Nuclear sector?
Come and join our talented team where you will play a vital role in shaping some of our exciting projects.
At Orano, our people are our biggest asset. By investing in our staff and fostering a culture of continued professional development within the company, we combine the skills and experience of our teams with our commitment to a professional and high-quality level of service. We believe in the importance of developing and maintaining a good working environment to support staff development.
We understand that different people have different priorities, which is why we pride ourselves on our supportive and friendly environment and ability to provide flexible hybrid working arrangements. Whether you’re working from an Orano office, remote location or at a client site, you will be working in a dynamic environment where your integrity, entrepreneurial spirit and pioneering mindset are championed. No matter where you sit in the organisation you can make a lasting impact on the projects you work on, the teams and committees you join and our business.
Come join us as a Senior Shielding Consultant in our Technical Division, and play a vital role in driving forward innovation across the Nuclear industry. There's no such thing as a one-size-fits-all career plan at Orano. And with a huge variety of projects to work on, you'll have plenty of opportunities to grow and challenge yourself.
Based in Birchwood Park, Warrington, and acting as a key member of the Technical Team, this opportunity is for a hands-on Shielding Consultant who will be required to support the Head of Technical in managing the complex demands of clients, projects and people.
Responsibilities will include:
- Managing shielding projects, as well as a technical leadership role within other projects
- Providing expert knowledge of shielding safety assessment including being up to date with developments in mythology and approach
- Managing shielding support to multi-disciplinary teams addressing safety challenges.
- Identifying and developing new opportunities for the team, including technical support to bids
- Closely working with the team to ensure the deliverance with quality and on time
- Developing asset management plans and monitoring their performance
- Supporting delivery on a number of projects
- Directing teams to deliver complex and unique projects
- Enhancing radiation protection and safety processes and procedures
- Supporting the company’s business development activities
- Mentoring junior staff and provide technical advice
What you can bring:
- 3+ years’ experience in radiation shielding and dose assessment within the nuclear industry
- A degree in an appropriate scientific or engineering technical discipline
- Experience with high energy physics experiments (e.g. accelerators) and medical treatment facilities would be an asset
- Extensive experience in the application of radiation transport codes such as MCNP,Attila, MCBEND, FLUKA and Microshield would be beneficial
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Self-motivated with a vested interest in personal development
- Ability to write clear and concise arguments
- Ability to establish and maintain influential working relationships with other team members / disciplines internally and externally
- Organisation, prioritisation and delegation skills
- Able to manage own workload and work autonomously within the parameters of the role
- Demonstrate commitment to always working safely
- Ability to identify and minimise risks
- Able to work on own initiative whilst anticipating the wider consequences of decisions and know when to refer upwards
- Use of initiative / be proactive to problem solve of work without direct supervision
- Flexibility and ability to adapt to a changing work environment
Why work for Orano:
Orano’s purpose is to provide customers with high performing products and services throughout the nuclear fuel cycle, thereby fully contributing to the efficient production of low-carbon nuclear energy, cancer-fighting radioisotopes, and innovative industrial applications.
Globally headquarters in Paris, with 16,000 employees worldwide, Orano includes eight primary business lines: Mining; Conversion & Enrichment; Logistics, for managing used nuclear fuel; Recycling & Nuclear Waste Management; Decommissioning & Dismantling; Nuclear Fuel Cycle Engineering; Operations Support, including radiological safety; and Nuclear Medicine.
These fuel cycle activities are of strategic importance to both the French nuclear sector and all customers operating reactors worldwide. Our clients are our number one priority and we are committed to providing a professional service to the highest standards of quality. We are a friendly company, place great emphasis on our working relationships and recognise the importance of partnering in our work.
Our ethos aligns with the Orano values of customer satisfaction; continuous improvement; respect and people development; exemplarity, integrity and responsibility; cohesion and team spirit. Building on these values, we have fostered a working culture that prioritises safety, performance and respect for everyone we work with, whether this relates to our clients, partners, or our own staff.
We are committed to the principle of equal opportunities and diversity and is opposed to any kind of less favourable treatment or financial reward to our employees or job applicants on the grounds of age, disability, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, mental health, race, faith or belief, sexual orientation, socioeconomic background. We welcome all applications from candidates who are seeking flexible working and from those who may not meet all the listed requirements for a role.
Meeting your needs:
To help you get the most out of life in and outside of work, we offer employees 25 days holidays plus bank holidays, a competitive salary, annual bonus scheme, hybrid working, free secure on-site parking and a great benefits package, including private medical insurance, non-contribution pension scheme, Enhanced Maternity Pay, Group Income Protection and Group Life Insurance.