Want to feel like you are making a real difference in the Nuclear sector?
Come and join our talented team where you will play a vital role in shaping some of our exciting projects.
At Orano, our people are our biggest asset. By investing in our staff and fostering a culture of continued professional development within the company, we combine the skills and experience of our teams with our commitment to a professional and high-quality level of service. We believe in the importance of developing and maintaining a good working environment to support staff development.
We understand that different people have different priorities, which is why we pride ourselves on our supportive and friendly environment and ability to provide flexible hybrid working arrangements. Site Locations Include: Warrington, Abingdon and or Westlakes.
Whether you’re working from an Orano office, remote location or at a client site, you will be working in a dynamic environment where your integrity, entrepreneurial spirit and pioneering mindset are championed. No matter where you sit in the organisation you can make a lasting impact on the projects you work on, the teams and committees you join and our business.
- The role can be based at our Westlakes or Warrington office
- Travel may be required on occasion between Orano offices and Client sites
Employment Type: Permanent, Full Time, 37-hour week
Purpose of Position
The main purpose of the cost engineer is to ensure that budgets on a chosen project(s) are developed, maintained and a record of costs and projected costs are managed effectively and communicated in an efficient way to the project manager, project team and wider stakeholders on a regular basis.
Role and Responsibilities
The main accountabilities for the job are listed below, these are not exhaustive, and any reasonable tasks requested by the Project Manager will be completed.
- Monthly payment application management and completion
- CEMAR Forecast to Complete
- Capable of checking the work of other Cost Control Engineers as necessary
- For smaller project scopes of work, manage all activities relating to budgeting, cost control and cost reporting for the entire project
- Monitoring and tracking of time sheet entries from multiple locations like home Office employees, International Employees and External Employees
- To establish project cost baseline budgets and prepare project cost control plans in accordance with project execution and client requirements for inclusion in the Project Control Plan
- Assist with the formation of the job-specific code of accounts, in accordance with the project WBS, forming the basis for detailed level cost control and reporting
- Assist in the personnel assignment and authorisation process for the project management and client to assess and approve the project personnel in a controlled manner
- Provide input to the preparation and maintenance of project cost control status and review/verify cost control forecasts
- For larger, more complex projects, be part of a team of cost control engineers and manage all activities relating to budgeting, cost control and cost reporting for the entire project, to ensure the support and communication of costs, to ensure accurate project control. When assigned to a project team, the cost control engineer supports the requirements for an integrated Project Control System
- Undertakes project cost control services on multiple projects or proposals
- Provide input to the preparation, review and issue of overall client and Orano management cost reports
- To establish and maintain change control systems. Ensure proper evaluation of change notices, determining cost impact on all affected areas
- Promote cost reduction and search for ways to reduce the project cost
- To prepare cash flows and currency distribution forecasts
- Communication of project status to accounts to facilitate completion of month end accounts
- Preparing, raising, and issuing intercompany invoices and external client invoices
- The monitoring and chasing down of any overdue debt
- Response to Auditors on all project related Audit queries and requests
- Analysis of projects on completion to report performance, profitability, lessons learned ect
- To assist with the development of new cost control tools and methodologies
- Provides effective cost control throughout all phases of a project
- Influencing the factors that create changes to the cost baseline, potentially impacting overall project costs
- Ensuring requested changes are agreed upon and communicated effectively
- Managing the cost control of the changes as and when they occur
- Assuring that potential cost overruns do not exceed the authorised funding for the period and in total for a project
- Monitoring cost performance to detect and understand variances from the cost baseline
- Recording and communicating all appropriate decisions and changes accurately against the cost baseline
- Preventing incorrect, inappropriate, or unapproved changes from being included in the reported costs
- Informing appropriate stakeholders of approved changes
- Acting to deliver expected cost overruns within acceptable limits
- Planning of work schedule to meet deadlines across multiple projects
- Intercompany cost management across separate ERP systems
- Identifying, reporting, and resolving budgetary and forecasting impacts as they arise
- Financial cost management for accruals and invoicing must be complaint with all external financial regulations and Orano policies
Preferred Role Requirements
We encourage diversity of thought and welcome applications of candidates with transferable skills that can be applied to our projects, therefore, there are no minimum role requirements and candidates will be assessed on a case-by-case basis.
The preferred role requirements are as follows:
- Bachelor’s degree, relevant course such as Engineering, Science, Math’s, Economics, Business
- Experience preferably in an Engineering / Construction / Maintenance company
- Ideally working in cost co High degree of numeracy and accuracy, an analytical mind
- Desirable but not essential: Hold a minimum of ‘SC’ UK Security Clearance
- Over 5 years plus as a cost Engineer in the Nuclear sector, preferably at the Sellafield site
Behavioural Qualities Required
- Proactivity – ability to independently seek out or develop one’s own answer to challenging technical questions
- Questioning attitude – ability to analyse situations and challenge the conditions, activities or solutions to support continuous improvement and develop areas of best practice
- Organisational excellence – ability to organise one’s own time and the time of others to ensure internal / external deadlines are achieved and Client expectations are exceeded
- Reactivity - ability to respond quickly and effectively to unforeseen situations
- Integrity and Inclusivity – ability to take responsibility for one’s own actions and foster an inclusive working environment where all members of the team are respected and given equal opportunity to participate
Why work for Orano Limited
Orano’s purpose is to provide customers with high performing products and services throughout the nuclear fuel cycle, thereby fully contributing to the efficient production of low-carbon nuclear energy, cancer-fighting radioisotopes, and innovative industrial applications.
Globally headquarters in Paris, with 16,000 employees worldwide, Orano includes eight primary business lines: Mining; Conversion & Enrichment; Logistics, for managing used nuclear fuel; Recycling & Nuclear Waste Management; Decommissioning & Dismantling; Nuclear Fuel Cycle Engineering; Operations Support, including radiological safety; and Nuclear Medicine.
These fuel cycle activities are of strategic importance to both the French nuclear sector and all customers operating reactors worldwide. Our clients are our number one priority and we are committed to providing a professional service to the highest standards of quality. We are a friendly company, place great emphasis on our working relationships and recognise the importance of partnering in our work.
Our ethos aligns with the Orano values of customer satisfaction; continuous improvement; respect and people development; exemplarity, integrity and responsibility; cohesion and team spirit. Building on these values, we have fostered a working culture that prioritises safety, performance and respect for everyone we work with, whether this relates to our clients, partners, or our own staff.
At Orano, we take pride in creating a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment where everyone is welcome, and their contributions are valued. When we recruit, hire, train, promote or engage in any other employment practice we are opposed to any kind of less favourable treatment or financial reward to our employees or job applicants on the grounds of age, disability, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, mental health, race, faith or belief, sexual orientation, socioeconomic background. We welcome all applications from candidates who are seeking flexible working and from those who may not meet all the listed requirements for a role.
Meeting your needs
To help you get the most out of life in and outside of work, we offer employees:
- 25 days annual leave, plus bank holidays. You will also get an additional 1 day off for every 1-year service which is capped at 5
- A competitive salary
- One Professional Membership subscription paid for by the company
- Annual bonus scheme
- Private medical insurance
- Non-contribution pension scheme
- Enhanced Maternity Pay
- Group Income Protection
- Group Life Insurance
- Sports allowance
- Online discount platform