Want to feel like you are making a real difference in the Nuclear sector?
Come and join our talented team where you will play a vital role in shaping some of our exciting projects.
At Orano, our people are our biggest asset. By investing in our staff and fostering a culture of continued professional development within the company, we combine the skills and experience of our teams with our commitment to a professional and high-quality level of service. We believe in the importance of developing and maintaining a good working environment to support staff development.
We understand that different people have different priorities, which is why we pride ourselves on our supportive and friendly environment and ability to provide flexible hybrid working arrangements. Whether you’re working from an Orano office, remote location or at a client site, you will be working in a dynamic environment where your integrity, entrepreneurial spirit and pioneering mindset are championed. No matter where you sit in the organisation you can make a lasting impact on the projects you work on, the teams and committees you join and our business.
Come join us as a Mechanical Engineer in our Technical Division, and play a vital role in driving forward innovation across the Nuclear industry. There's no such thing as a one-size-fits-all career plan at Orano. And with a huge variety of projects to work on, you'll have plenty of opportunities to grow and challenge yourself.
Based in Birchwood Park, Warrington, and acting as a key member of the Technical Team, this opportunity is for a hands-on Mechanical Engineer who will have accountability for our Mechanical Discipline Team supporting the critical work of the projects or bids.
Within the Engineering team, the Mechanical Engineer will integrate operational engineering multi-disciplines teams delivering projects at various phases, from Front-End Engineering Design (FEED) to commissioning, or in assistance to Plant Operation in the UK.
Responsibilities will include:
- Ensuring appropriate and adequate design standards and practices are deployed and deliverables and solutions generated are safe, legal and adequately underpinned
Ensuring that appropriate design review activities are performed in a timely manner
- Ensuring subject matter experts are appropriately and adequately engaged in a timely manner and LFE captured, disseminated and utlised
- Managing technical studies related to mechanical handling for both handling operations and heavy mechanical transfer systems, powder mechanical processes (transport, milling, and compaction) in high active environment and gloveboxes, compaction and mechanical dismantling technologies
- Managing the design of mechanical processes, from strategic and conceptual phases to detailed design and construction & commissioning phase support. Typical deliverables will be issued: technical note, substantiation notes, mechanical flow diagrams and flow-sheets, mechanical drawings, P&IDs, and mechanical layout drawings, hazards and malfunctions management, technical specification documentation review from supply chain
- Technical networking within Orano, including with Orano experts
What you can bring:
- 10+ Years’ experience as a Mechanical Engineer
- Degree in Mechanical Engineering, or other relevant degree at Masters or Ph.D. level is desirable
- Member of relevant professional body
- Recognised Subject Matter Expert (SME)
- Knowledge of Civil, Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering
- Experience of engineering design (development, FEED, detailed design, technical specification, documentation review from supply chain) in the nuclear industry or other regulated sectors
- Experience of mechanical studies delivery (Mechanical handling, powder technologies) considering manufacture, testing, construction commissioning, operation, maintenance recovery and decommissioning aspects
- Experience of contractor follow-up in the nuclear industry or other regulated sectors
- Experience in leading multi-disciplined projects
- Experience of delivering projects for Sellafield or Magnox sites (desirable)
- Proven excellent analytical and organisational skills
- Flexibility and ability to adapt to a changing work environment
- Quality and results driven
- Good presentational, influencing and negotiating skills
- Ability to detect and capitalise on others’ strengths
- Supervision, delegation, and capacity development abilities
- Ability to identify and minimise risks
- Ability to motivate and support team members
- Ability to establish and maintain influential working relationships at all levels / disciplines internally and externally
- Organisation, prioritisation and delegation skills
- Able to manage own workload and work autonomously within the parameters of the role
- Demonstrate commitment to always working safely
Why work for Orano:
Orano’s purpose is to provide customers with high performing products and services throughout the nuclear fuel cycle, thereby fully contributing to the efficient production of low-carbon nuclear energy, cancer-fighting radioisotopes, and innovative industrial applications.
Globally headquarters in Paris, with 16,000 employees worldwide, Orano includes eight primary business lines: Mining; Conversion & Enrichment; Logistics, for managing used nuclear fuel; Recycling & Nuclear Waste Management; Decommissioning & Dismantling; Nuclear Fuel Cycle Engineering; Operations Support, including radiological safety; and Nuclear Medicine.
These fuel cycle activities are of strategic importance to both the French nuclear sector and all customers operating reactors worldwide. Our clients are our number one priority and we are committed to providing a professional service to the highest standards of quality. We are a friendly company, place great emphasis on our working relationships and recognise the importance of partnering in our work.
Our ethos aligns with the Orano values of customer satisfaction; continuous improvement; respect and people development; exemplarity, integrity and responsibility; cohesion and team spirit. Building on these values, we have fostered a working culture that prioritises safety, performance and respect for everyone we work with, whether this relates to our clients, partners, or our own staff.
We are committed to the principle of equal opportunities and diversity and is opposed to any kind of less favourable treatment or financial reward to our employees or job applicants on the grounds of age, disability, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, mental health, race, faith or belief, sexual orientation, socioeconomic background. We welcome all applications from candidates who are seeking flexible working and from those who may not meet all the listed requirements for a role.
Meeting your needs:
To help you get the most out of life in and outside of work, we offer employees 25 days holidays plus bank holidays, a competitive salary, annual bonus scheme, hybrid working, and a great benefits package, including private medical insurance, non-contribution pension scheme, Enhanced Maternity Pay, group Income Protection and Group Life Insurance.